Areas of expertise
• Polymer chemistry - Synthesis
• RAFT polymerisation
• Polymer processing
• Thermal, spectroscopy and morphological characterisation
• Coatings formulation
• Fibre reinforced composites of epoxy, polyester, polyurethane
• Natural product chemistry and total synthesis (Bioactive organic compounds)
• Separation science: Chromatography, Extraction and Crystallization
• Computational Chemistry: Calculation of Physical properties by using semi-empirical methods
• Materials Chemistry: Organic Photovoltaic (OPV), Organic Non-linear Optical (NLO) materials
• Materials selection
• B.Sc. and M.Sc. (Organic chemistry)
• PhD (Organic Chemistry)
• PGCert.Eng. (Plastics)
• Member, American Chemical Society
• Member, New Zealand Institute of Chemistry
• Member, SCANZ, New Zealand
• Dr. Kudrat-E-Khuda Scholarship, (Honour date: 1995, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh)
• International Macquarie University Research Scholarship, (Honour date: 2003, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia)
Delower received a BSc (Hons) degree in Chemistry from University of Dhaka, Bangladesh in 1999 and PhD in Organic Chemistry from Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia in 2007 for research into organic non-linear optical chromophores.
He joined Industrial Research Ltd (now Callaghan Innovation) in 2006 where he is a senior research scientist in the Photonics team. His recent research centres on synthesis of organic molecules for building blocks and nonlinear optical (NLO) applications.
He is also experienced on synthesis of polymeric materials and morphology characterisation.
He recently completed a Postgraduate Certificate in Engineering (PGCertEng) at the University of Auckland’s Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering where he specialised in plastic processing.
• Development of novel polymer coating for FBG based relative humidity sensing, Swanson, A.J., Raymond S.G., Janssens S., Breukers R.D., Bhuiyan M.D.H., Lovell-Smith J.W., and Waterland M.R., Sensors and Actuators A: Physical. 2016, 249, 217-224
• Effects of chromophore conjugation length and concentration on the photostability of indoline-based nonlinear optical chromophore/polymer films, Kutuvantavida, Y., Williams, G.V.M., Bhuiyan M.D.H., Raymond, S.G., Kay, A.J., J. Phys. Chem. C, 2015, 119, 6, 3273-3278
• Synthesis of Symmetric Dinitro-Functionalised Tröger’s Base Analogues, Bhuiyan M.D.H, Mahon, A.B., Jensen, P., Clegg, J.K., Try, A.C., Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2009 , 5, 687-698.
• Synthesis and characterisation of strongly two photon absorbing and photoswitchable azo molecules, Breukers R.D., Janssens S., Raymond S.G., Bhuiyan M.D.H., Kay, A.J., Dyes and Pigments 2015, 112, 17-23.
• Synthesis, characterization, linear and non-linear optical (NLO) properties of some Schiff's bases, Bhuiyan M.D.H., Teshome, A., Gainsford, G.J., Ashraf, M., Clays, K., Asselberghs, I., Kay, A.J., Optical Materials 2010, 32, 6, 669-672.